Quote

"You are where you are for such a time as this -- not to make an impression -- but to make a difference." AnnVoskamp


Tuesday, February 12, 2013

3 Hard Eucharisteos

Finding thanks in the hard things of life...

November 26, 1961
121.  My small church in Oklahoma just wore out. All the members were older, the minister resigned and after much prayer, much thought, much agonizing, these beautiful, wonderful members decided to close their doors. This was one of the hardest times of my life but I was and am so very thankful that I had an opportunity to share in the lives of these people. Jonathan rang the church bell every Sunday after services until he went away to college. Then Jackson was living with us and he took over that responsibility until he went to live with his Mom. Then I took over this blessing! The day they sold the building at auction, before I left, I rang the bell one last time. Beautiful memories in that old building.


122. Going through a divorce after 37 years of marriage was another hard time in my life. When my marriage ended, I also lost my life long minister. That was a double blow. I determined to let God get me through these times and let Him give me the courage of Joshua and the grace and dignity of Esther. He provided. He blessed me tremendously. He helped me get through a "mess" while holding my head up high. I am so thankful for what He taught me during these bleak years. - and so very thankful for His blessings.



My Mom and Dad before their 50th wedding anniversary in 2007





123.  At 1:07am I awaken, hearing the muted sound of my parents voices through the wall.  Then I hear her walker as he helps her down the hall. I want to get up to help but I know they need to do this by themselves. I'm leaving tomorrow today. "Help me Lord to find joy in this. Help me to find your peace." 

At 1:43 things quiet down again. I have reached that time in my life. Children worrying caring for parents. I've heard about it for years. Helped with my Mother-in-law, Anne. But now it's my turn. All of our lives have been changed by that one fall. The one that broke her hip.

As I think  pray through this "gift hard" - I realize that thanksgiving - grace - joy can't be just this isolated instance of life with my parents but this life as a whole.
  
My story with my Mom begins H.E.R.E at this blog and it's been a gift  hard from that point.

I'm so thankful for my story with my Mom. With my Dad. I'm who I am today because of the foundational years from them.

And I would be very remiss if I left out my Thanksgiving for my brother and his wonderful wife - who became my sister when they married.


(This "Hard Eucharisteos" was first published in November of 2012. But once I decided to begin the joy-dare with 2013 I realized my gift - hard is the same and so chose to share it again.)



 




No comments:

Post a Comment