Friday, June 20, 2014
Saturday, June 14, 2014
706. High School years at Oklahoma Bible Academy. Those four years shaped me for the start of my adulthood. The trials and joys of those years prepared me for the next chapter in my life.
707. My friends from High School. So many. Too many to be able to name them here but these are the friends that I laughed with, cried with. Those times of talking way into the night! Those four years and those friends are the very best a person could ask for.
708. The teachers at OBA. Adults who mentored me and showed me by their lifestyles how Christians live. How to act and react. God truly blessed me by allowing me to attend this high school.
Monday, June 9, 2014
Sunday, April 20, 2014
Friday, April 18, 2014
Thursday, April 3, 2014
695. My husband is the best. I’m so very thankful he enjoys time with me as much as I enjoy time with him! He even went to a quilt show with me this week and I am so very thankful for him.
696. I am so very thankful that God gives different talents to different people and that so many of them are willing to share their talents. This week I had the opportunity to enjoy the many talents of many quilters. God blesses in many ways.
697. I am very thankful for Mrs. Ruby Frey. She was my home-ec teacher in high school. She taught me how to sew. God bless that woman.
I made this for my grand daughter over spring break. – Thanks to Mrs. Frey! – And even though it’s sleeveless, I can set a sleeve like nobody’s business! Again – Thanks to Mrs. Frey!!!
Wednesday, February 12, 2014
When I decided to date, hopefully meet someone, and prayerfully marry – I was mainly “thinking” of the man God would send me. The extra gift that I received was a ---
694. A wonderful step daughter, her husband and their 3 children. WHAT A GIFT God gave me in this family.
I have been blessed. We like each other – we love each other. We enjoy spending time together. They have accepted me as a member of the family – from the beginning! What a blessing this is.
When I think of what could have happened…. : ) I’m doubly blessed that all is good.
God gave me a beautiful gift in Eric, Michelle, Zac, Hunter and Lauren. I’m very thankful.
Eric, the husband, Michelle, Lauren, me, Hunter
Not pictured: Zac
When I met the husband on match.com, we were compatible on all categories except one. I had put that I didn’t want to meet anyone with children still in the household. After all, I was 58? 57? I don’t even remember but I was in my late 50’s. We met. We fell in love. We married.
With this exceptional man I married came a young man still living “at home.” He is my unexpected gift.
693. A. is a good kid! That’s what comes to my mind when I think of him. He is respectful and he is willing to at least try everything I cook. – even the night he took a bite, put his fork down and didn’t say a word. Then the husband and I took a bite – and we all got up and went to Five Guys – for hamburgers! (don't you just love pinterest??) Even then he was careful with what he said! He would never want to hurt ones feelings.
He’s active in his youth group and is willing to take instruction very well – which is admirable in a young man of 15. He and I have a good time teasing “Papa.”
It wasn’t what I expected, still raising a young one at age 61 but God knew best. Because he has been a great gift in my life.
God knows me so much better than I know myself and He always blesses me – even with surprises!!
691. My second granddaughter, A.G. She is so sweet, fun, funny and tries to always do what is right. She is so tender hearted. A.G. loves her family so much.
She wants to be a good big sister. Sometimes she gets hurt because she wants to help little sister so much and little sister is trying to be independent.
God blessed me greatly with this cute little girl. She and I have a love for reading (I’m getting all the girls to love books! Haven’t had much luck with the boys!)
A.G. is often dramatic and I love that about her! I can’t wait to see what God has planned for this girl!
A great gift in my life is A.G.
692. My youngest granddaughter. What a hoot! A.C. is so funny! She is her own little girl. Wants to be a good little girl but it’s just so interesting to get into mischief! What fun!
She loves her big sister and her family! She loves her Papa. They seem to be kindred spirits!
A.C. lives life to have fun!!
What a gift she is and I am so very thankful for her.
These girls are true gifts. Their Daddy and Mommy are blessed.
As are the rest of us.
689. I always wanted a redheaded boy! I’m not sure why, I’ve just always thought they were adorable!
Well, God granted my prayer in a wonderful grandson, R. A
cute handsome young man.
He is thoughtful, caring and (I want to say precious but I don’t want to embarrass him) a fun kid.
He loves animals. God has given him a gift of compassion. – a very special gift for a teenager.
He spends some of his vacations from school with us and we have such a good time. He is great buddies with A.
God gave me a great gift in R. The red hair is just a bonus! His compassionate heart and loyalty are only parts of this gift. I thank God for him.
690. My oldest granddaughter, J. She is a very special gift. She is in tune with God and all things spiritual. She loves to come to our house and be here when we have life group and she always adds to our discussion. God has a very special plan for that girl.
She loves books and she is interested in sign language. She enjoys playing musical instruments, she is good in school. She loves her animals, too. She is an individual, not interested in running with “the crowd” which is often hard on her now – in middle school. But when she becomes an adult this will be to her advantage.
She is an old soul. She and I have much in common.
I thank God for the gift of J. She is precious in His sight and in mine.
They love each other very much!!
688. My oldest grandchild. Jackson. He’s the one I got to spend my first years as a Grammy enjoying. He always said some of the cutest things. (but don’t they all!) I have notes in my Bible he would write to me in church! I have a sticky note in my Bible in Jack’s cute handwriting saying, “This is a long sermon.” Only one of many.
One time his Mom and I were in the living room, he came in there with both of his feet in one leg of a pair of panty hose, he said, “Look, plentytoes.” What a cutie.
His step dad, David is a fencer. (Jack has done some fencing since this story happened.) When David and Holly were planning their wedding, Jack wanted to send David a Father’s Day Gift. He was so clever and he put on a cap, got some tools and asked me to bring my camera and come with him. He went to the edge of the driveway where the fence was, had me take a picture of him working on the fence and had me print it. He framed it with the title, “Jack – Fencing”. Very clever young man.
Jack is a gift from God. Only God can create someone as clever as Jack. I am very thankful for the gift of Jack. I thank God for him and pray that he will become what God intends for him to become.
Jack and Holly Jack and his dog
Friday, February 7, 2014
Today in the mail we received a flyer from one of our neighborhood Christian Book Stores. First of all let me say that a book store is my utopia. In the mid 70’s there was a bookstore for sale in the town I lived in and we were in a position to be able to buy it. I R.E.A.L.L.Y. wanted it! We did all that needed to be done except signing the papers and… Well, it’s a long story and I’ll just say here, I didn’t get the book store. BUT
When we went to Bible College I had the wonderful privilege of managing – (which really entailed just working – it was a small college-) the campus book store. I L.O.V.E.D. it. After that I’ve worked in 3 other book stores. Two on college campuses and one regular one.
So, I said all that to say this – When the flyers come in the mail, I devour them to see what’s new in the bookstore scene.
684. You know how I feel about my Bible… Well, in today’s flyer there is a beautiful pink and brown NIV Study Bible. What a beautiful gift that Bible will be for someone.
685. There is a gorgeous “Women’s Sanctuary Devotional Bible” in this flyer. It is turquoise and brown. Turquoise is my favorite color! This Bible features in-text readings for the entire year! A wonderful devotional gift for a woman!
686. Then there is a “Wayfinding Bible.” I had no idea what this was so did some more reading. They’ve used the “wayfinder” charting to help navigate through this Bible! A visual guide is at the top of each page and offers a study guide with three different ways to learn from Scripture.
687. There is a Bible called “Every Man’s Bible” with notes “for the battles every man faces.” It particularly focuses on his two most important relationships: his relationship with God and with women.
What wonderful gifts these Bibles will be in someone’s life. I know I love my Bible and as I look at all the new Bibles, I realize we have NO excuse as believers for not knowing God’s Word.
Thursday, February 6, 2014
681. My calendar. I know I have one on my phone but I just haven’t been able to get used to it. I like one with plenty of space to write but that also fits in my purse. I got this one from Lilly Pulitzer and I love it. Perfect size, I can see the whole month at once or work with a week at a time. This helps me keep track of my life!
682. I have greatly enjoyed Ann Voskamp’s Joy Dare. I keep a hard copy on my desk because it’s easier for me to look at it than to look it up online each time. Even though I don’t write 3 gifts everyday, I enjoy having the prompts to encourage me to think “outside of the box” in thankfulness. I am grateful that she has printed prompts for a year.
683. Any printed word on paper is a gift. Newspapers, books – I do realize that with sin in the world not all that is printed is edifying or spiritual but – the printed word is still a gift to us.
Sunday, February 2, 2014
678. A Song Heard: One of my new favorites! I want this to be sung at my funeral!!! Am I the only one that thinks about things like this? I'm so excited to go to heaven so I often read a scripture or hear a song of praise - of jubilation that I think "hmm, I want this at my
funeral celebration!!!" I hope you can take the time to listen to it! Click here to listen:
I once thought about doing a blog about each of my friends. Then I started making a list – starting with childhood and I realized I have had so many wonderful people in my life that I can’t blog about each of them and do them justice. Everyplace I’ve lived I have met people that have touched my life. God is always faithful to send me friends.
So, 3 Graces Found in Friends:
675. Everyplace I have lived someone has met my needs. – the needs that surface when I need a friend. God has always placed someone in my life that has offered me the companionship that I have craved. I am so very thankful for that.
676. I have had friends that are willing to listen when I’m hurting. Sometimes they are able to give solid, sound advice. Sometimes they understand that their silence and understanding are all I need. What a gift these women have been to me over the years.
677. I had lost track of my high school friends over the years. In 2009 I reconnected with many of these
girls women. God brought them back into my life at the perfect time. I am truly blessed.
Monday, January 27, 2014
Ah. The kitchen. This is my domain! I love to cook so I spend lot’s of time in this room!
I think you can see this one better.
She sets way up here!
Here she is close up!!
671. My pantry is almost always full. I have never really had to go hungry. I have been blessed my whole life with plenty to eat – and many times I have sinned and eaten too much. I’m trying to focus on healthy eating with healthy portions. I don’t want to take advantage of the bounty God has blessed me with.
672. I do enjoy my cup of coffee. My first cup of the day is always on my night stand by my bed. : ) I know, I know, I am spoiled rotten by the husband!
My second cup, I get in the kitchen. This is a luxury that I enjoy.
673. I often run out of ideas for meals. I found a “menu planner” that includes a grocery list. I have used these for over a year now and I’m not sure how I managed before. I’m so thankful that someone created this for my organization! (I will make this picture larger so you can get the idea of how easy it is. I just take this to the grocery store to shop and then have it on the counter in the kitchen during the week with the meal plans.)
I think you can see this one better.
674. (I really can count but I wanted to add this because she’s cute!)
I have a “kitchen angel” and I really like her. She sits up in the corner and looks out over my kitchen! I am blessed to have items in my home that makes me smile!
She sets way up here!
Here she is close up!!
Sunday, January 26, 2014
668. A Gift Before Dawn: This is a funny one!! I am NOT a morning person! Last week the husband had oral surgery. He always takes A. to school. I needed to fill in the gap for a few days… Ugh.. It was hard to have a “cheerful heart” during the early mornings but I persevered! It’s a gift to have the privilege of being able to help rear another child. It seems as if I was born for this! I remember when the oldest grandson moved to live with his momma, I had had a child in the home for 32 years. Once he left, it was a strange feeling! But I enjoyed that time, too. So, God has placed another young one in my home. – or placed me in the home of another young one! I’ve enjoyed it! (most of the time) – I mean really, let’s be honest here – he is a teen after all! : )
669. A Gift At Noon: Today at noon we were bringing our van home. We have a van and we often get to loan it to our youth minister to take kids to events. (when he has a small group) He was able to take a few teens to a Christian Concert last evening and I am so very thankful we have a vehicle that he can use.
670. A Gift After Dark: Sunday evenings we always plan to watch “Downton Abbey” on PBS. Unfortunately, there isn’t much on TV that is decent to watch. We have found that many British shows are better suited to our taste. I’m sad to see that these younger generations have nothing (much) of value to use as entertainment as far as TV goes. It’s sad.
Saturday, January 25, 2014
665. We let our youth minister borrow our van for a concert tonight. It’s so fun to watch the kids and their excitement for “becoming” a group! Our youth minister has only been with us since September, so the kids are still bonding.
666. At the grocery store today, there was a $10 bill on the floor. No one was around so we picked it up. It is always a blessing when you find money!!
667. My curly hair. My Grandpa had curly hair – my mom had curly hair but hers has gotten straighter over the years. I used to think of it as a “curse” but now I’m learning that it is a gift given from God.
Friday, January 24, 2014
It’s no secret that blue is my favorite color! All shades!
662. Well, my favorite “blue gift” would be my Bible.
662. Well, my favorite “blue gift” would be my Bible.
663. I took a picture yesterday for my photo-a-day challenge and last evening I mentioned to the husband how blue the sky was in the picture. We have had beautiful blue skies during this crisp winter weather.
664. I have many “blue” accessories in our home. They always make me cheerful and I enjoy each one of them! Some were gifts from dear friends so that makes them extra special!
Thursday, January 23, 2014
659. His words. I love having a “red letter edition” of the Bible because often if I’m just picking up my Bible to read a couple of verses, I love choosing the words of Christ.
Other than the commentary and the helps, these 2 pages are completely red. Completely the words of Christ. What a gift to me.
660. Jesus promised me eternal life. That heaven will open. That I will see heaven. He promised me that His Father has reserved a place for me there. What a legacy – what a promise. This is a promise that I stand on every day.
Come quickly, Lord Jesus.
661. Jesus told us the Holy Spirit would be our comforter and our helper. I am so very thankful for this gift.
Wednesday, January 22, 2014
656. A Gift Wrinkled: Every time I look in the mirror I see changes. I hear of friends having work done. – and I understand why. Often I’ve done that thing we women do – putting our hands on the side of our face and pulling back and up – Ah, there she is, the younger me. The one I remember most. The one I see in my mind. Then I pass the mirror again and am surprised that the Brenda in the mirror is much older and a little more rounded out than the one I picture in my mind. But then I realize I am exactly who God created. He didn’t intend for us to stay forever young. With age – and gray hair – comes wisdom. Why do we want to go against “life?” Well, it’s partly the times we live in. We constantly see the forever young – commercials, movies, even news. I’m shocked when I hear of a news woman that loses her job and replaced with a younger woman. Wisdom comes with age. I’m blessed to still be alive and I’m blessed to be who God intended me to be. – Even if I am shocked every time I see myself in the mirror!! : )
657. A Gift Smoothed: I love clean sheets! When I smooth them over the bed every Monday I am thankful that not only do I have a bed, but I also have nice clean sheets to sleep on. This is a luxury for some.
658. A Gift Unfolded: In the corner in our living room, we have a basket with throws in it. So on these chilly winter evenings the husband and I will pull one out, flip it to unfold it and enjoy our evening cozy and warm.
Tuesday, January 21, 2014
653. A Gift in the Sky: The Moon. I love watching the moon. God’s creation.
654. A Gift in water: I’ve never learned to swim. So water has never held much appeal for me. One year when we took the grands on vacation we took a boat out on the water. – Not my idea of a good time but the husband had done this every year and all the kids were excited. Well, we had a tube. – Again, not my idea of a good time. Did I mention I don’t swim… Well, A. was a pro at tubing:
Then of course The Oldest Grandgirl decided SHE wanted to try it. Well, I couldn’t let her go alone because I was responsible for her, A. wasn’t mature enough at the time to take responsibility and Randy needed to stay with the boat. I KNOW…
Water was not a gift…
I went out to that tube with tears in my eyes because I DID NOT want to do this…
No one told me if you have too much weight on the front of the tube, it sinks. We did okay. – for awhile. Then he stopped the boat to see if we were ready to stop. The grandgirl said "NO." So we were going to go around one more time. I thought I needed to scoot up on the tube. To do so, I pushed down on the front. You guessed it – we went under. I was very thankful for the life jackets. I was very thankful we were “saved.” But what still stands out in my mind is when we surfaced my sweet little grand said over and over “Are you okay, Grammy?” Now, that is my true gift in the water.
655. A Gift of Memory: Memory? Each of my children being born, while they grew up, loving them. Memories of my Grands.
But one of my favorite “recent” memories is our wedding. We wanted to have a good time, we wanted our friends and family to be relaxed and have fun. After the reception many of our friends and family came to the house to continue visiting and having a great time. It was a blessed day full of blessed memories.
Monday, January 20, 2014
650. I love my husband’s face. It is full of
character, kindness, goodness and love.
I am so very thankful for this wonderful man.
651. Reading. My favorite past time – right after blogging. I am so thankful I can read.
652. Blogging. My favorite past time. I am thankful for the opportunity.